Monday, March 5, 2018

Poem: Everything On Red




Everything on Red
By Meghan D. Coates

I’m not a gambling man--
I’ve hedged my bets since I was small,
I don’t take risks or put things on the line that I don’t want to lose,
But you make me want to gamble.
You make me want to drink
And go for twelve AM walks through the city,
Make me want to throw caution to the wind
(and hearts, too)--
I’ve never asked someone for their number
But I’m asking for yours.
There’s a lot I could lose--
I’m not a gambling man,
And it scares me, giving this power over,
To you,
To fate,
To God--
But we all have to learn to lose control sometime.
I’d rather choose when
Than gamble on fate picking the right time,
Place,
Man--
So I’ll gamble on you,
Here,
Now.

Dear Dealer;
Everything on Red.

--Published in 2016 by Eber & Wein Publishing

No comments:

Post a Comment